You applied for that summer internship and got the position, but now what?
You might be working for free, and the job may seem less than important, but never approach it that way. An internship can actually be worth a fortune if handled correctly. The value is in the job experience and relationships you will make, never lose site of that.
Here are the 5 Internship Success Tips:
- Ask a lot of questions – Your new office can be intimidating, but don’t let that stop you from asking questions. At first it might feel like you are bothering people, or you might even be afraid of looking stupid. Don’t worry, your bosses know you lack the experience and they are there to help you succeed. There is no such thing as a dumb question, so ask away.
- Do not be afraid of making mistakes – Failure is part of the game, and it is impossible to succeed if you don’t have a few mishaps along the way. If you get something wrong, make sure to learn from it and prevent it from happening again.
- Take the time to get to know everyone in the office – This will make tip 1 and 2 much easier for you. Walk around, introduce yourself, and shake a lot of hands. The key here is to get comfortable in the office so you can focus on learning the skills you need to succeed.
- Always be positive – Attitude is everything, so maintain a positive attitude no matter what the situation. Don’t complain, be enthusiastic, and never gossip.
- Schedule a review – Don’t wait for the boss to pull you in the office, take the initiative to schedule a time with them to find out how they feel you are doing, how you can improve, and how you can be more productive in the office.
An internship is a valuable and rewarding time, so make the most out of the experience and soak in everything that you can. This is the first step to a successful career, and you want to build a solid foundation that will help you climb future ladders.
A new era of working is upon us, and the Sideskills community is here to help you succeed regardless of economic conditions. Remember to always pursue your passion and never give up!